What does a Driver’s Mate do?
A driver’s mate assists a driver with loading and unloading deliveries. This can be either short- or long-distance journeys depending on the company that you are working with.
The typical responsibilities of a driver’s mate include:
- Loading the vehicle in an appropriate manner (depending on order of delivery etc.)
- Examine the vehicle before starting the journey and make sure that the load is safely stored
- Communicate with customers to confirm delivery times
- Help to navigate and advise the driver about any upcoming diversions
- Help to unload goods at delivery address
Please note: This is not an exhaustive list and there could be extra responsibilities depending on your employer.
What qualifications do you need?
You do not need any formal qualifications for these roles, but some employers may require a full driving licence.
Basic qualifications in Maths and English may be useful as well as some health and safety knowledge. However, lots of employers provide basic training when you begin.
What are the benefits of being a Driver’s Mate?
- There are plenty of companies looking for Driver’s Mates within the logistics industry, so job supply is relatively stable
- Depending on the company, there may be opportunities to upskill and gain other qualifications
If you are interested in pursuing a Driver’s Mate role, Recruitment Solutions have a variety of jobs available. If you are interested in learning more, please give us a call on 01392 430800.